Sunday, January 11, 2009

Where's My New York Times?!

I've been subscribing to The New York Times on my Kindle for several months now and I look forward to curling up with it every night. Imagine my disappointment when I brought my Kindle downstairs last night and couldn't find the latest issue. I figured maybe something went awry with the wireless connection, so I pressed "Check for new items" but still no Saturday edition.

Next step: Shutting down and rebooting. No dice. Last option: using my handy-dandy paperclip and resetting the darned thing. Still no luck.

Interestingly, I went into the Content Manager a few minutes later to remove some old issues and guess what I found: Saturday's issue was there waiting for me to delete it. I hopped back to the home screen but it still wasn't there, so I found myself in the odd position of being able to delete it but not read it.

I sent a message to Amazon's support team and all they could say is "we've reviewed your account...we're unable to determine a problem with your subscription...and the latest issue of The New York Times should have downloaded to your Kindle." They also suggested I contact customer support via a toll-free number if I'm still having problems.

How lame is that? Regardless of what their system might tell them, Saturday's paper was not available for me to read on my Kindle. One obvious step they could have taken (but didn't) is simply to resent it to me. Amazon, really, you guys might want to add this simple step to your customer support arsenal. I'm stunned that you haven't already, given the attention to detail you usually pay to this sort of thing.

I've got to admit yesterday felt like one of those times years ago when the paperboy simply missed your house. You'd think that sort of thing wouldn't happen with today's technologies...

The good news is the Sunday edition was right there on my Kindle waiting for me.

5 comments:

Tim Bolin said...

if this happens again, try moving the issue to the SD card, then back to the kindle... thats worked for me in the past with books that wouldnt display for some reason... also, you should be able to delete then re-download stuff through the content manager, but i dont know if that applies to subscription material or not...

i could have sworn when i was briefly subscribed to a magazine, that there was somewhere under the account settings on the amazon site a place to re-send subscription issues to the kindle... but i could be remembering incorrectly...

Anonymous said...

Can you not send it yourself from the Manage your Kindle page on Amazon? I don't subscribe to the NYT, but I can resend issues that I bought individually as far back as I can see.

Sure, amazon should have been able to do that for you, but maybe you can still get your edition yourself?

Anonymous said...

Just curious....did you delete the NYT Saturday issue that you could see in the content manager and then have it sent again from your Media Library online at Amazon?

Joe Wikert said...

Thanks for the suggestions. By the time I thought about digging deeper for a re-send option it was Sunday and I was ready to read the next day's edition.

Wil said...

Amazon recently released the ability to access any and all content you've ever purchased in the past and re-download it to your Kindle (or presumably any future Kindle) whenever you want. New York Times subscriptions are included. Just an FYI if this happens again. It's all under the Manage Kindle section on the amazon site.