Monday, June 23, 2008

How Important Is the $9.99 eBook Price Level?

I was ready to buy Clayton Christensen's latest book, Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns. It looks like a book I'd really enjoy and I'm a big fan of Christensen, particularly his earlier bestseller, The Innovator's Dilemma.

I searched for it on the Kindle book list and sure enough, there it was. But the price is $19.58, not the $9.99 you pay for most Kindle titles. That stopped me in my tracks.

Amazon has already trained me that e-books should cost no more than $9.99, so I'm afraid I'm not buying this one...not till the price comes down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a new Kindle user, and loving it, but I've wondered if that's the publisher, not Amazon. It's like the publisher is saying to Amazon, "It's $19.58 whether you buy it in hardback or Kindle."

Unknown said...

as a publisher I am not by law allowed to dictate to a retailer what they can sell that title for. I can have a suggested retail price, and sell it to Amazon at a discount off that, but if Amazon wants to sell it below cost that's their business. And it seems to be part of their strategy in selling the Kindle. They are willing to lose some margin for the time being on the content in order to gain market share in the reader portion of their business.