Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Love KindleFeeder

What's KindleFeeder? It's a free new Kindle service I discovered a few days ago and I'm totally hooked on. KindleFeeder automatically pushes RSS feeds wirelessly to your Kindle. That sounds a lot like Feedbooks, right? It is, but the word "automatically" is the key differentiating factor.

Feedbooks offers a service that lets you manage and read RSS feeds on your Kindle as well, but updating them is a manual (albeit one-click) process. As I've mentioned before, I sometimes forget to do this, usually when I've just heard the announcement to turn off all wireless transmitter devices on an airplane! By then it's too late and I'm stuck with whatever content I managed to download prior to takeoff.

KindleFeeder, on the other hand, let's you decide what time of day you want the service to push the latest feeds to your Kindle. I have mine to hit every morning at 6AM, which means I have the latest and greatest from every feed when I wake up. It all happens with zero intervention from me, the same way The New York Times magically appears every morning on my Kindle.

All your KindleFeeder feeds get lumped into one file each day. That's one advantage Feedbooks has since it offers the option to cluster related feeds into separate "newspapers". KindleFeeder is a relatively new service though and I'm sure new features will be added in the coming months.

I like what I see already though and I recommend KindleFeeder to anyone reading this blog. Blogs were meant to be free and there's no reason to pay for them when services like this make them so easily accessible.

P.S. -- The "free" advantage only exists as long as Amazon continues to delay implementing their 10-cent per e-mail policy...

1 comments:

cheeseslope said...

Using RSS-forwarding services like rssfwd.com or rssforward.net, you can also have individual feeds emailed directly to your Kindle.