Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Lost Kindle Saga

What a bummer. Blogger Jim Lyons writes here about losing his Kindle a few weeks ago. I felt bad for the guy, then I wondered...

Why can't Amazon help him track this down? I'm not asking them to hire a detective and find the darned thing, but how useful is a stolen/lost Kindle? Amazon knows the serial number and who bought that particular device. Shouldn't there be a way to alert Amazon when you lose it so that they can prevent anyone from ordering more books for it? Then the device becomes nothing more than a paperweight, useless to the person who stole/found it.

4 comments:

Jim Lyons said...

Hi Joe --

(I'm Jim, the guy who left his Kindle on the plane.)

Thanks for the note here. Your empathy and your thoughts are appreciated!

I called Amazon right away and they de-registered my unit, making it into a boat anchor. I then called them back not long ago to see if perhaps someone had contacted THEM about a FOUND Kindle. No such luck.

One of the agents told me it was too bad I'd lost it -- they have a great support policy that covers just about everything but that!

I'm curious about my investment (small, fortunately) in the E-books I'd purchased for Kindle#1, and if they'll be transportable to my new (when and if) Kindle.

Good looking blog here, thanks for the mention, and I'll add a new post in the next day or so over on my blog about your mention and another I've received.

Joe Wikert said...

Thanks Jim. I'll keep an eye on your blog to see if ownership of those e-books will carry over to a new Kindle (if you buy one down the road).

I still wonder what happens to lost Kindles. It's too bad Amazon can't use a GPS function to tell you where it is...

Ger said...

Amazon can't use a GPS function to tell where it is because the Kindle does not contain a GPS receiver.

They can get a rough idea where it is (and any Kindle owner can by hitting Alt-1 cause the browser to open up Google Maps with a rough - very rough location) based on the use of the cell tower it is communicating with but that is nowhere near precise enough to allow one to walk up to a specific house and ask the person who answers the door to give it back.

Joe Wikert said...

Right, which is why I said "it's too bad Amazon can't use a GPS function to tell you where it is." IOW, the functionality doesn't exist, but it sure would be nice if it did.