Friday, October 24, 2008

Oprah's Favorite New Gadget

And so it's come to this. I suppose it was unavoidable. Oprah is apparently going to gush about the Kindle on her TV show today, so much so, in fact, that Amazon is offering $50 off the price of a Kindle for Oprah viewers. If you don't want to visit that page, just use the promotional code OPRAHWINFREY at checkout between now and November 1st.

It will be interesting to watch Kindle sales rates over the next few days. Oprah has proven to be extremely influential in the book world and I have no doubt she'll cause Kindle sales to spike. Then again, it's one thing to hype a $20 or $30 book, but will her magic work as well on a $300 dedicated e-reader?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is marketing genius. I rarely get them, short of the NY Times best selling list, I can't think of a more influential list for book readers (at least of a certain demographic)

This would be a great forum to announce the Kindle v2 as well.

Anonymous said...

I was one of those that bought because of the Oprah spot. I'd wanted one for awhile but didn't know anyone that had one and the spot with Jeff Bezos was just enough to push me over the edge. I am a reader. I'm usually reading 3-4 books at the same time (sometimes more) so I LOVE this device. It is saving me money as well as decreasing my luggage weight. Typically I like multi-function devices (smartphones, etc.) but I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by the # of posts on all of the Kindle forums that want this device to do everything including cleaning the house. The more "stuff" a device does the more battery power gets eaten up, the more "partnerships" companies have to enter into, etc., etc. which inevitably increases the price and the # of things that can go wrong. I'd rather my Kindle provide the absolute best possible electronic reading experience available, save battery life and be simple to use. Save the bells & whistles for my BlackBerry and my PC.