Wednesday, February 4, 2009

500,000 Strong?

Here's an article with yet another estimate of the number of Kindles in use today. The conclusion is that Amazon sold approximately 500,000 units in 2008 and that sales of the Kindle have provided Sprint with some lift to their business.

It would be interesting to know whether Sprint is comfortable with their cut of the deal and the amount of bandwidth the typical Kindle owner requires. The original relationship was built under download/purchase assumptions that may have shifted over time. I use my Kindle to retrieve all sorts of free content from services like Kindlefeeder, for example. I've also sent countless DOC and PDF files to my Kindle email account to have Amazon convert and load them wirelessly on my device. I might be in the minority, but if not, it's possible that there's a lot more use of Sprint's network than was originally envisioned.

2 comments:

Noam said...

Joe, have you seen this one? It almost reads like an admission of defeat on Amazon's part...

Joe Wikert said...

Call me crazy, but I'm glad to hear Amazon is doing this. Perhaps it's a sign that they're finally thinking of opening things up a bit on the Kindle platform. And, if I can get all the Kindle titles on my iPhone I have even less of a reason to ever consider upgrading my existing Kindle.