Monday, March 17, 2008

Mobipocket for Blackberry

Are you a Blackberry user who's been thinking about taking the $400 plunge on a Kindle? Before you do so, you might want to consider the Mobipocket Reader for the Blackberry. Assuming you're using a Blackberry you've already got the device, thereby saving yourself $400. The downside includes the fact that there's no eInk display on your Blackberry and fewer titles are available (40K+ for Mobipocket vs. Kindle's 100K+). But hey, did I mention you'll save $400? I've got to try it out just to see what the reading experience is like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe: I've been using MobiPocket on my Blackberry Pearl for about 8 months. I got about 1/2 way through one full length book before deciding that the 2 1/4 inch screen was just too small for that kind of reading and that pressing the space button so much to page down would probably wear it out prematurely. I tried a few other short form items and decided that for anything other than lookup/reference, where I might just read one or two screens, that the screen is just fractionally too small. Another 1/2 inch each way might do the trick.

Joe Wikert said...

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Then again, I have an 8700 model with a somewhat larger screen than yours...yet another reason why I didn't go for the Pearl.

Anonymous said...

It's a little tough on the smaller Blackberry screen, but I do really enjoy having at least one book that handy. Also,there is a desktop reader that goes with the package. I like the desktop,especially when the color of the background is changed to that "easy-on-the-eyes" green tone (which can also be done on the mobile reader); but I would prefer pagination that matches the printed book.
All in all, looking forward to continued development of eInk readers, which I suspect are, or will be, much easier on the eyes.