Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kindle 2.0: Tell Amazon What You Want

I deliberately waited a few days before mentioning this post on the Engadget blog. They're asking you to tell Jeff Bezos and the rest of Amazon what you'd like to see changed/added/fixed in Kindle version 2.0. I wanted to give the post some time to gather comments and see what the suggestions look like.

Now that the original post is a few days old you'll find there are well over 100 comments on it. Unfortunately, other than the periodic "I hate e-books and I wish the Kindle would go away" rants, most people are asking for more functionality at a much lower price. Pretty typical for a first generation gadget.

If you've been looking for a way to voice your thoughts on Kindle improvements, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better platform than Engadget. Go ahead, add to the comment list with your own great perspective. Who knows. Maybe your idea will find its way into Kindle 2.0.

My own list includes the following suggestions:

Kindle Book Subscriptions
An Unlimited Content Model
A WiFi Option
Limited Time Kindle Exclusives
A Hybrid Book Model
Better Printer Functionality
Granted, my list is more focused on content services and not the hardware itself, but I still think these are all worthy of consideration. Kindleville is less than two months old though, so I'm hoping to come up with bigger/better ideas down the road!

3 comments:

mlong said...

Use the forthcoming iPhone SDK to create a Kindle book reader for the iPhone. And another one for the Air. Support Windows if you must (grin).

It comes down to a single question: Does Amazon want to be in the hardware business, or the book business?

L.L. Barkat said...

Thanks for stopping by Seedlings in Stone and encouraging writers to drop in here as well. I'll add this blog to the list of blogs in the body of the post.

Anonymous said...

My big wish would be a Kindle that works outside the US (or, specifically for me, in Europe)!!! How I long for such a device and an end to my ever-filling bookshelves!